CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Worth it all!


I was talking to someone the other day and they asked me why I choose to be a fulltime childcare worker, they asked what motivated me to do it day in and day out. At first I just shrugged it off and said I don’t know but later on I got to thinking and I wondered to myself what does motivate me to be a childcare worker what keeps me going what makes it all worth it. Being a childcare worker is a day in and day out grueling job, its at the end of a long day after settling the hundredth fight and washing your tenth bottom and comforting a child for the fiftieth time that you start to wonder what the heck am I doing. I mean to most people at the age of seventeen settling down and taking care of someone else kids for eight hours a day is about the furthest thing from there mind. Most people at my age want excitement they want freedom they want to try a bit of everything before they make their decision of what they really want from life. But I’ve already decided, I’ve thrown myself headlong into this ministry and I must say that I do enjoy it. But there are times that I look over my work and think is this really what I want to do, is this really what I’m good at. Other people have these great and glorious ministries of getting out there and winning the world they win disciples they feed sheep and there the ones that you look at and say wow what talent. Or the fundraisers get out there and get the money for the home and there out on the streets all day and everyone looks at them and says wow there really a big help. In the ministry of childcare there are not a lot of big huge victories and things that the whole home will really see, many times if you don’t look up and see how far you’ve come you can tend to feel like you haven’t really done anything big or important. But the rewards of being a childcare worker are far greater when you look at them in the right perspective. When you look at the kids in your care and you see hey I taught him read and I taught him to count, I taught him to go to the bathroom and he knows how to write because I taught him. To others these seem like small things yeah so what if he can read and he can write, so what if he’s potty trained now and can count. As a childcare worker those are big things because you know how much work it is to teach a kid to write, you know how much time it takes for potty training to finally click. You know what you put into it and it’s a thrill to see the outcome, its such a thrill to see that all that work all that time and that attention paid off. Anyway to make a long story short the reason why I am a childcare worker the thing that motivates me to keep doing what I ‘m doing is knowing that no matter how much time I put into it and no matter how much extra work I do in the end its always worth it. What I put into it comes back to me again in the future and hey who knows maybe that kid will be the next Einstein ( hey you never know).

2 comments:

toshandprom said...

You are doing one of the greatest jobs in the world. You are making disciples and that's work for a lifetime.If it weren't for people like you, we wouldn't be able to do all the other jobs we do that are almost equal to or don't even come close to how important the job of raising and teaching children is. My hat is off to you and I know what a sacrifice along with time, effort, patience and love that is required from someone who takes on that special role in caring for kids--I should know from the crazy trio brood the Lord has given me. My blessing and reward of having them though is felt everyday when people like you are around who love to help and care for the kids faithfully day in and day out--I'm extremely blessed to have that security and support that so few people in the world have that privilege of ever having in their lifetime. You are the person those kids will one day say "She was the best, most fun teacher I ever had" and it'll be during those times you felt like you weren't doing much or making a difference, but to them you are their hero. I love you!
--Prom

Anonymous said...

I have to say I absolutely agree with Promise! (Hi there, Prom! It's been awhile, eh?) I'm a teacher too and I totally know the feeling! Keep up the good work! I don't know you, but I certainly admire you and what you do!
~kisses, Kirsty